Apparently an update to Internet Explorer is causing issues with a file called svchost.exe. This file is in fact a generic name for any service that runs from a DLL instead of an EXE. At the moment, the exact cause is not known, but Outlook users have been hardest hit, while the issue also affects users of Windows Server Update Services.
No official fix has been released as of yet, but some people have reported that another hotfix available from Microsoft seems to resolve the problem, although it has not worked for everyone. The hotfix is available for download from Microsoft.
As anyone who uses Windows on a regular basis will tell you, security is a problem. It’s a problem because Windows is the biggest target out there, and every script-kiddie, virus-writer with half a brain can write software to exploit it.
It takes time and effort to lock down a computer. More than time and effort than most end users are willing to dedicate to the issue. Securing your computer is more than preventing unauthorised access, it’s about protecting your private data, and ensuring that your computer continues to work the way you want it to. So here’s my basic guide to securing your home PC.
What’s the point in having standards if they are just going to be thrown out the window and ignored? I really feel for the guys out there who do web design on a full time basis. No wonder they hate IE so much. I hit just one major problem, and it wrecked my head trying to sort it out.Anyway, after a couple of days away, I finally got a chance to sit down and do some research about my “position:fixed” problem. I initially thought that I would have to create two CSS files and then use some scripting to do some browser recognition and redirection. Turns out the answer was easier than that. Instead I used a CSS child selector to fix the problem. Continue reading →
Just an update on the CSS Problem. After a quick search on Google, I discovered that IE6 does not support the “position: fixed” attribute of CSS. I was using this attribute for the navigation bar, the external links bar, and the copyright bar. So when rendering the page, IE6 just ignored this attribute and laid out the different div’s one after another, which caused the messed up layout.
My original intention was to have those three blocks visible on the page at all times so that navigation would be easier. They also helped frame the content.
In the meantime, I’ve changed the attribute to “position: absolute”. So now the layout is nearly what I want. But not quite. I’ll work on incorporating the two style sheets, so that the true layout is available to those with compliant browsers, and IE6 users get the updated CSS file. That way, the site looks the way I want it to, and not the way that Internet Explorer, thinks it should look. At least IE7 does recognise “position: fixed”, but only time will tell what other parts of the CSS standard Microsoft have decided to ignore.
Thanks to my sister Lena, for pointing out the rendering problem on IE6. Kudos!